Music - 6th Grade
The Synergy music program is based on the teaching philosophy of Carl Orff, who developed an approach that integrates music, movement, drama, and speech. Our curriculum is cumulative, not sequential. Once a concept or skill is introduced, students continue to work with it and deepen their learning.
The following presumes a Synergy K-5 musical foundation. A handful of students enter Synergy at 6th grade. Their musical preparation varies widely, from none to intermediate or advanced instrumental skill. Although beginning at a disadvantage, these students catch up in the course of middle school and become successful ensemble players and collaborators.
- Pentatonic compositions/basic arranging
- History of American music through the African Diaspora
- West African music
- History of the development of jazz
- Dominant seventh chords
- Rhythmic proficiency in above styles
- Internalization of 12-bar blues forms