Music - 5th Grade
The Synergy music program is based on the teaching philosophy of Carl Orff, who developed an approach that integrates music, movement, drama, and speech. Our curriculum is cumulative, not sequential. Once a concept or skill is introduced, students continue to work with it and deepen their learning.
Continue to build on foundational concepts and skills in our combined 4th and 5th grade classes.
- Diatonic major and minor scales
- Parallel harmony
- Treble clef
- Student choreography
- Small group composition
- Music as dramatic element
- Alto recorder for those with adequate skill and larger hands
- Notes on staff
- Sing in 2-part harmony; 3-part canon
- Include instruments studied outside of school in ensemble as appropriate
- Master large repertoire of pieces in the context of the combined 4th and 5th grade plays
- Mallet technique requisite for diatonic parts
The class presents at least two pieces every year at the Spring Concert at Herbst Theatre in San Francisco. Family and friends are invited to this school wide event.